FOR PORK SHANKS:
Pork Shanks – 12#
Kosher Salt – 3 tsp.
Onions, sliced ½” – 3 each
Carrots, sliced ½” – 4 each
Tomato paste – 1 Cup
Ginger, fresh, sliced – 3 inches
Lemons zested – 3 each
Cinnamon sticks – 2 each
Cumin, ground – 5 Tbl.
Coriander, ground – 4 Tbl.
Fennel Seeds, whole – 2 Tbl.
Cayenne, ground – 1 Tbl.
Black Pepper, ground – 1 Tbl.
Brown Veal stock, hot – 2qts
1. Season shanks with salt.
- Heat 2 Tbl. oil in heavy large sauté pan over high heat. Working in batches, add pork to sauté pan until browned on all sides, turning as needed.
- Transfer pork to a braising pan or a 6” hotel pan.
- Add onion and carrot to large sauté pan. Saute until onion is soft. Add tomato paste and lightly brown. Add onion, carrot and tomato paste to pork.
- Add ginger, lemon zest, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, cayenne, black pepper, and veal stock to pork.
- Add water to cover pork shank if needed. Bring to a boil. Cover pan with lid or aluminum foil. Braise at 325° F. Check in 3 hours. Cook until Shanks are completely tender and the meat falls is almost falling of the bone.
- When pork is tender remove from oven and cool in braising liquid.
Golden raisins – 1 Cup
Capers – 1 Cup
Shallots, mince – ½ Cup
Parsley (picked, washed and chopped fine) – 1 Cup
Mint (picked , washed and chopped fine) – ¼ Cup
Lemons, juiced and zested – 4 each
Dijon mustard – 2 Tbl.
Extra-virgin olive oil – 1 ½ Cup
Kosher Salt – to taste
Fresh ground Black Pepper – to taste
1. Cover raisins with hot water for 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Chop raisins and capers. Add to a mixing bowl.
3. Add shallots, parsley, mint, lemon juice and zest, Dijon mustard, olive oil mix until well combined.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Diced Tomato – 3 qts.
Cumin, ground – 1 Tbl.
Coriander, ground – 1 Tbl.
Fennel Seeds, ground – 2 tsp.
Cayenne, ground – 1 tsp.
Black Pepper, ground – ½ tsp
Olive oil – 4 Tbl.
Onion, minced – 1 ½ Cups
Black Beluga Lentils – 2 Cups
Braising liquid from pork shanks – 1 qt.
1. Toast spices in a pot until aroma develops. Add diced tomato and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until reduced by half. Reserve.
2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until softened. Add lentils and stir for a minute.
3. Add braising liquid and reserved tomato and spice mixture bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer lentils until just tender. Stir occasionally, about 30 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.